Cruise control is a servomechanism that controls the speed of your car automatically. Now it is a standard feature on many modern cars. But is cruise control bad for your car? In this post, we will try to find an answer to this question.
While relying on cruise control, you should avoid relaxing too much. Cruise control can lead to hazards by giving you a false sense of security. First, let?s see what dangers you may face while relying completely on this feature.
Hazardous driving conditions
Using cruise control may turn out hazardous while driving in rain and wind. While having a long trip, you may be tempted to rely too much on this feature and just relax. Your vehicle may lose control due to poor road conditions and inclement weather. And it can lead to an accident.
Stay alert to ensure the safety of both you and other drivers. You must prioritize it when the weather is bad and the road conditions are poor. So, is cruise control bad for your car? Not really, but you must stay alert when using it.
High traffic areas
Adaptive cruise control technology is a standard feature on many cars now. It maintains a certain distance between your car and other cars by automatically adjusting speed. There is no doubt that this safety feature is useful, but you should not solely rely on this feature in an area with congested traffic.
To maintain your driving conditions in dense traffic, you must adapt your speed manually. You should be especially careful about construction zones, rush hour and slow traffic areas. Remember, adaptive cruise control cannot save you from all types of traffic-related dangers.
Sluggish reaction times
When you rely on cruise control, you will tend to get too comfortable, not paying attention to your alertness. And that can lead to hazards, because staying alert is the first condition for driving safely. Lack of alertness can lead to another problem, and that is slower reaction times.
If you cannot stop instantly, you may not be able to save pedestrians or animals running into your vehicle. Inability to react quickly can lead to a host of other problems. This is the main drawback of cruise control.
However, you will not face any problem if you remain alert while driving your car. Let the car do its job, but do not assume that you are in your bedroom. This feature is intended to make driving easier for you, and not to allow you to sleep while driving. Is cruise control bad for your car? It is not bad at all unless you zone out or fall asleep.
Changing road conditions
On a long road trip, cruise control can make it easy for you to maintain a safe speed. While that is true, you should also know that cruise control can be dangerous when you are driving in rolling hills or winding roads. So, you must know when to use this feature and when to avoid using it.
Using cruise control is dangerous on winding roads, and you can guess why it is so. Turning off this feature is a good idea when you are driving on winding or hilly roads.
Reasons to use this feature
There are some good reasons why people love this feature. The main reason is that you do not have to keep your foot on the pedal to maintain the same speed. As a result, you can relax. It can be a good thing when you are on a long road trip.
This feature reduces your tendency to speed, which ensures safety. You can drive safely because there is not much risk of an accident. This is really a good feature for people with lead foot syndrome.
When your car runs at a consistent speed, it uses less fuel. So, cruise control improves fuel economy. Is cruise control bad for your car? No, it is good for both you and your car. It ensures the safety of your car while saving your hard-earned money.
When your car runs on a place road, it uses less fuel. And when it goes uphill, it uses more fuel and air. And all these activities are controlled by the computer inside your car.
This feature was primarily designed to allow you to rest and relax. You do not have to constantly worry about increasing or decreasing the speed of your car, and that is a good thing.
Tips for using cruise control
Cruise control basically helps you drive at a constant speed. But this feature should not be used on roads with frequent turns and stops. Below are some tips that will help you use this feature safely.
- Evaluating the driving conditions is of utmost importance, and you should do it before anything else. Never use this feature in hazardous weather conditions. You have to think deeply and decide whether or not to use this feature. Before you apply cruise control, make sure you are not going to face obstacles.
- On an interstate, the optimum speed is between 50 to 70 miles per hour. For cruise control, this is an ideal speed range. Your car?s cruise control should never be set at a speed which is more than the legal limit. And if that is done, you may face hazards.
- The cruise control system should be turned on only when the car reaches its desired speed. In most cases, the cruise control system button is located on the steering wheel. Your owner?s manual may help you locate the buttons.
- Set the cruise control once you have activated the system. in most cases, this is a very simple process. What you need to do is to press another button. Once you have set cruise control, you no longer need to keep your feet on the accelerator. The car will automatically maintain a stable speed.
- When the cruise control is accelerating the vehicle, you must keep an eye on the road. Now you can no longer slow down or stop instantly. Your reaction time will be a bit slower.
- When your vehicle is on cruise control, you can accelerate it by racing and additional button. Read the user?s manual to know where the button is located.
Is cruise control bad for your car? No, but you need to know how to use this feature correctly. When you are driving on the interstate, cruise control can help you maintain a stable speed.
This is a very useful feature if you know how to use it the right way. When you?re using this feature, you do not have to face the problems of sudden accelerations or decelerations. It also reduces the fuel consumption of your vehicle.
But remember, if you think you are going to suffer from driver?s fatigue, you should never use the cruise control system. Contrary to what most people think, remaining idle while driving your car can make you feel fatigued.
Is cruise control bad for your car? This feature can be bad when you are not using it wisely. To avoid hazards, learn as much as you can about adaptive cruise control. The more you learn about the feature the more control you have over your car. If you know when to use it, it can be an amazing safety feature.