MINI Coopers are a noticeable car brand, thanks to their miniature style and unique color schemes. The first generation of these enormously fun cars was produced by the British Motor Corporation (BMC) from 1969 to 2000, so it is no surprise they are prevalent in the UK. Starting from 2001, the marque was owned by BMW, and the second generation was produced, which became a massive success in the United States.
Currently, shoppers looking to buy Mini Cooper have a wide array of models from which they can choose. In essence, many people love these cars because they offer a perfect blend of performance and economy in one tiny package, – Mini Coopers are very popular among drivers who love a retro aesthetic and go-kart feel.
Well, while we all know that Mini Coopers are conveniently compact, ultra-capable, and built to deliver nimble agility, anyone thinking about buying a Mini Cooper will ask: how much does a mini cooper weigh?
In this article, we will look into the weight of Mini Coopers and answer other questions related to the subject. Keep reading!
What is curb weight?
Before diving into the Mini cooper weight, we answer this question some shoppers may have: what is curb weight?
Essentially, curb weight refers to the weight of a vehicle with all its standard equipment and essential components but without passengers or luggage.
How much does a Mini Cooper weigh?
From the Mini Cooper hardtop/hatch/convertible three-door hatchback to the Mini Cooper Countryman five-door crossover, there are many Mini Cooper models on the market today.
The 2021 Mini Copper weighs anywhere between 2,707 pounds and 3,790 pounds, depending on the model. If you are in the market for a Mini Cooper, there are plenty of models under 3,000 lbs. This means you can still find a compact car that’s lightweight and offers an agile steering response for an enjoyable driving experience. Notably, a new Mini Cooper Hardtop is expected to come out in 2022, and rumors have it that it will weigh about 2978 pounds.
An all-electric Mini Cooper is expected to be on the market in 2023. As we wait for the next-generation mini Hatch, here is a list of curb weights of Mini Coopers by the year for the last two decades.
- 2001 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,315 lbs (1,050 kgs)
- 2002 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,524 to 2,678 lbs (1,147 – 1,217 kgs)
- 2003 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,524 to 2,678 lbs (1,147 – 1,217 kgs)
- 2004 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,524 to 2,678 lbs (1,147 – 1,217 kgs)
- 2005 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,524 to 2,844 lbs (1,147 – 1,292 kgs)
- 2006 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,524 to 2,844 lbs (1,147 – 1,292 kgs)
- 2007 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,546 to 2,844 lbs (1,157 – 1,292 kgs)
- 2008 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,546 to 2,844 lbs (1,157 – 1,292 kgs)
- 2009 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,546 to 2,855 lbs (1,157 – 1,297 kgs)
- 2010 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,568 to 2,877 lbs (1,167 – 1,307 kgs)
- 2011 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,535 to 3,208 lbs (1,152 – 1,458 kgs)
- 2012 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,535 to 3,208 lbs (1,152 – 1,458 kgs)
- 2013 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,535 to 3,262 lbs (1,152 – 1,482 kgs)
- 2014 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,605 to 3,263 lbs (1,184 – 1,483 kgs)
- 2015 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,605 to 3,263 lbs (1,184 – 1,483 kgs)
- 2016 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,605 to 3,263 lbs (1,184 – 1,483 kgs)
- 2017 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,605 to 3,395 lbs (1,184 – 1,540 kgs)
- 2018 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,605 to 3,613 lbs (1,184 – 1,638 kgs)
- 2019 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,760 to 3,613 lbs (1,251 – 1,638 kgs)
- 2020 Mini Cooper Weight: 2,767 to 3,693 lbs (1,255 – 1.675 kgs)
The curb weights of Mini Cooper can vary depending on trim level.
What are the different Mini Cooper Models?
The Mini range currently has several models, which gives shoppers a lot of flexibility. To add on, there are three trims – Signature, Classic, and Iconic – and three variants of body styles – Cooper, Cooper S, and John Cooper Works (JCW).
If you want a unique model, you will also find the Sidewalk Edition convertible, high-performance JCW GP, or value-oriented Oxford Edition. So, which Mini Cooper model is suitable for you?
- Mini Cooper 3-door hatch: This iconic car is ideal for city driving but will also feel great on an open road. If you’re looking for an elegant little car that feels great in the city and countryside, the Mini Cooper 3-door is an ideal choice – it looks small on the outside and is surprisingly roomy on the inside.
- Mini Cooper 5-door hatch: The Mini Cooper 5-door is an elongated version of its 3-door cousin. It is a great choice for drivers who want something sporty and handles easily.
- Mini Cooper Convertible: If you want a miniature car that lets you enjoy the summer days, this is the right Mini Cooper for you. It is arguably the most stylish Mini Cooper you can buy.
- Mini Cooper Clubman: With their split rear door and refined, spacious interior, these cars usher in a new era of sophisticated versatility. They are ideal for families or drivers who just need a roomy car.
- Mini Cooper Countryman: With its SUV-like feel, the Countryman is the most adventurous Mini you can find in the market now. It comes with generous cargo space and a quality interior for people planning to go off-road.
- Mini John Cooper Works: This car is for passionate drivers who crave performance as it feels great on all terrains.
Mini Coopers are among the most athletic and fun-to-drive compact cars you can find in the market. They are stylish and come with a quality, roomy interior to suit all drivers, including the tall ones. Interestingly, they have better fuel economy ratings than rivals.